“It’s not the mountains we conquer, it is ourselves”
Welcome to the home of an incredible and unique UK cycling challenge.
The idea was to design a continuous route (no out-and-backs), linking together every famous and categorised road climb by bike, the hardest way up, in the Peak District National Park and the immediate vicinity around it. The resulting route was approximately 600 km (380 miles) long, with 13,600m (44,600 feet) of ascent.
There are over 40 categorised climbs to ‘tick off’ in this endurance hill venture, including 9% of Britain’s ‘100 Greatest cycling climbs’. This makes it the hilliest long distance road cycling event in the UK.
The 2024 edition route and ride handbook will be circulated to riders in the months prior to the event.
Start/Finish HQ: Dore Masonic Hall, Abbeydale Road, Sheffield, S17 3LA
Date and Time: Depart at 09:00 Saturday 29th June 2024
Route: Approx 600km / +13,500m ascent. 100% on road (GPX route to be released to riders shortly before the event)
Cost: £105 (Please Note: An additional deposit of £130 for the tracker is required, and all participants will be invoiced for this approximatley 5 months prior to the event start date. All riders are required to pay this deposit. This deposit will be refunded after you hand back the tracker to a member of the PPG team. In the event that the tracker is not returned or is not in good working order, PPG reserve the right to not issue a refund of the deposit)
- Registration at Sheffield HQ
- Basic food/drink at the start and finish
- Halfway hall with refreshments and use of kitchen
- Tracker rental and website hosting
- Personalised cap
- £30 minimum donation to the charity Paces
- Most importantly, the experience, achievement and satisfaction of completing one of the most difficult road cycling routes in the UK.
- Participants must ride the whole route and every hill, in the correct direction, to have their attempt validated. If trackers malfunction/fail to record for whatever reason, you must provide the GPX file or upload your ride to Strava for ride validation. If attempted as an ITT, you must provide the GPX or upload your ride to Strava for validation.
- Completing the route within 48h or 55h will allow you to be a Pure Peak Gritter in these categories. If during the event you finish later than 16:00 on Monday 1st July, the HQ will be closed but you will still be honoured as a Pure Peak Gritter, and your ride showcased on the wall of fame as a finisher.
Sleeping, nutrition & being self supported
Please note, you are obliged to make your own arrangements for sleeping and rest during this event. This is a self supported event so there is no provision for recovery from Pure Peak Grit and aside from the Sheffield HQ and Halfway House you must self supply with food and water.
This is not an entry level event and your previous experience/ride ability will be screened on application and Pure Peak Grit reserves the right to refuse applications. Applications from under 18 years olds will not be accepted.
Registration will close when the event reaches capacity.
There will be three time categories for riding PPG 2024:
- 48 HOURS OF PURE PEAK GRIT
The ultimate challenge!
- 55 HOURS OF PURE PEAK GRIT
A more manageable timescale, but still an epic challenge.
- AIMING TO JUST COMPLETE THE ROUTE
Sole completion of this route is a massive achievement, and tribute to your tenacious grit. Not only that, but PPG allows you to cycle across and summit some of our greatest hills, in some of our most beautiful countryside. This is an absolute privilege to be valued and enjoyed. However long it takes you, if you endure and embrace this ride, you will very much be a ‘Pure Peak Gritter’.
PPG is closely tied to the valuable work of charities across the region. The forthcoming 2024 edition will be raising vital funds for Paces, a charity supporting children, adults and families living with Cerebral Palsy and other motor disorders across Yorkshire. All registration fees will cover the basic running costs, with a proportional amount going straight to the charity. We anticipate this donation to be at least £30 pp.
There is an opportunity whilst registering for the event to make an additional donation to the charity if you are feeling particularly generous. All donations are greatly appreciated.